Re: obby

From: joakim
Subject: Re: obby
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 20:25:23 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> By the way, this is a textbook case for why we would want to support
>> dynamic linking. The reference implementation of the Infinote protocol,
>> libinfinote, is released under the LGPL, so it would save a great deal
>> of effort to be able to use that rather than creating a new,
>> independent, under-manned implementation from scratch. It's especially
>> hard to get motivated to sink that much effort into an alternate
>> implementation when you know it would be much easier and more robust to
>> link to an existing Free one.
>
> Short of dynamic-linking there are 2 options:
> - link at compile-time, as we do for png, svg, ...
> - write a wrapper to turn the C API into a little executable that speaks
>   "the same API" over its stdin/stdout, so you can use it via
>   start-process.

I'm interested in this feature, and I could help write the C wrapper.

>         Stefan "who hopes we will find some way to allow dynamic loading
>                 of libraries at some point, maybe with a similar
>                 approach as what is being designed for javascript"

Do you have any links explaining this aproach?

Another aproach I was thinking of was writing some kind of plugin for
the Swig wrapper generator for elisp. The idea is that Swig would be
persuaded to generate C stubs and low-level elisp api:s from a C library
.h file, like Swig already does for Java, Python and so on. I think this
aproach would both be fairly convenient(not as convenient as dynamic
linking of course) and safe from potential threats from dynamic linking.

--
Joakim Verona