Re: Emacs Package Management

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Emacs Package Management
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:55:08 -0600

RMS> Supporting the latest Gnus on old versions of Emacs already
RMS> complicates things.  If Emacs does not come with a copy of Gnus, we
RMS> will also be asked to support running an old Gnus in a new Emacs,
RMS> which will square the difficulty.

package.el only lets users install the latest version of a package that
is available in the package archive.  Older versions are not displayed
in the package menu.

Of course, a user might upgrade Emacs but not upgrade existing packages.
And, this may cause something to stop working.  I did not see a way to
solve this problem, and anyhow it is not any worse than the currently
existing situation with 3rd party .el libraries.

Tom