Re: Feature needed

From: Daniel Clemente
Subject: Re: Feature needed
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 08:14:55 +0200

> I really don't understand the purpose of this request.
I see many:
- to discover other input methods which may also work for your characters; for
instance you might have been using an input method for mathematical characters
but then you discover that your preferred-language input method can also output
them
- to compare input sequences needed for each character. For instance "古" is
"gu32" in chinese-tonepy but it is just "jr" in chinese-cns-tsangchi, so I will
be tempted to use the shorter version
- to learn a particular input method by example, just by seeing how to touch
type a character and typing it below… without having to resort to searching
that character in the Internet. I have needed such a feature many times.

> I don't think the current "to input, use:" feature should be removed,
> but I think that teaching people how to use any input method that
> happens to be available on the host is beyond Emacs' scope.

It doesn't have to be on C-u C-x = necessarily, it could be another function.