Re: Feature needed

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Feature needed
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:47:04 +0900

> What are SCIM/Anthy and Xlib/XIM?  Maybe they are input methods
> outside Emacs.  I agree they might be difficult.

SCIM is kinda the "UI" part of an external IM, and Anthy is the
"backend" part, which I think does most of the actual work (looking up
in a translation dictionary, applying grammatical heuristics, etc).

I think it's possible to use Anthy as a backend for Emacs too, but I've
never done this and I'm not sure how; perhaps Emacs should try harder to
autodetect such things (there are others as well) and use them if
present?  That should allow much better quality while maintaining Emacs'
nice IM UI (SCIM is usable enough, but can be kind of clunky compared to
Emacs).

-Miles

--
Opposition, n. In politics the party that prevents the Goverment from running
amok by hamstringing it.