Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102478: shr.el (shr-tag-color-check):Convert c

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102478: shr.el (shr-tag-color-check):Convert colors to hexadecimal with shr-color->hexadecimal.
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 06:35:23 -0500

> From: Julien Danjou <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 10:08:13 +0100
> Cc: 'Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen' <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Color-lab has been built upon a specific need, which resulted in the CIE
> Delta E 2000 formula to be implemented. Some helper functions dealing
> with colors have been written, like CIE XYZ and CIE Lab conversion in
> the process.
>
> All of this is not present in hexrgb, and hexrgb is not present in Emacs.
>
> I admit: color-lab has 50 SLOC for 2 functions (rgb->hsl and rgb->hsv)
> which are in hexrgb, but they are even not used at all by the CIE code.
>
> So I think it's really unfair to stand up and point at this package like
> it's something that should not have been done.
>
> Now if you want to merge hexrgb and color-lab, why not, but stop
> pointing at other people work because some is not included in Emacs.
>
> I can't do anything about it.

Perhaps we could all stop being apologetic and pointing fingers at one
another, and see one important lesson to be learned here: that before
adding a package to Emacs, the contributor should talk to the head
maintainers about where the new package should be and whether it
should be a new one or an addition to an existing one.