Use color-tweaking code to improve face defaults? [was: /srv/bzr/emacs/t

From: Drew Adams
Subject: Use color-tweaking code to improve face defaults? [was: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r1...]
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 14:41:14 -0800

> Gnus now has a gazillion defface declarations like this:
>
> (defface gnus-group-news-2-empty
>   '((((class color)(background dark))(:foreground "turquoise"))
>     (((class color)(background light))(:foreground "CadetBlue4"))
>     (t ()))
>
> Which is very general and all, but the colours chosen are
> usually quite garish, since (for instance) `light' commonly
> spans the gamut from white to gray, so we have to choose
> colours that pop.
>
> We could start choosing more mellifluous hues by default, and have
> color-lab ensure that the text would be readable for all users...
> That is, reduce the fruit salad-ey-ness that Emacs has now.

I suggest a separate thread for this.

I personally agree that an ability to tweak colors for human readability etc.
_can_ sometimes help developers come up with better default values for face
colors.

(One might have doubts about "readable for all users", but let's assume that's
feasible.)

However, regardless of which colors you might come up with and propose, for
whichever face defaults, there is bound to be a lively discussion (aka melee).
There are lots of considerations when choosing _default_ colors for faces.

That's no reason not to try or not to discuss.  Just be forewarned to have
pastel expectations. ;-)