Re: face for non-ASCII characters

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: face for non-ASCII characters
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:49:22 -0500

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 20:56:41 +0200 Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

LB> 2011/4/19 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>:
LB> I think the best would be to keep nXhtml as one package at the moment
LB> (and I think Reuben agrees to that). Later on I think it should be
LB> split and more general things like this extracted to ELPA or Emacs.
>>
>> That makes it hard for people like me, who don't use nXhtml, to use
>> markchars.el (which as I mentioned is a standalone library).  What would
>> you suggest as a remedy instead of installing nXhtml?

LB> I do not know how ELPA handles this. (But I do not think there is any
LB> problems installing all of nXhtml. Everything is autoloaded.)

All I want is an easy way to display suspicious characters (as I recall
from when we started this discussion over a year ago).  I have no
problem that you're hosting markchars.el inside nXhtml and I can mirror
just that one file into the GNU ELPA, but if nXhtml has to be
*installed* in order to use markchars.el, I'll have to write my own
version.  I think installing a large, unrelated package is an
unnecessary burden on those who just want to detect suspicious
characters.  Can you please confirm one way or the other so I know what
I need to do, mirror or rewrite?

Just to be clear, mirroring markchars.el does not require you to change
anything.  The GNU ELPA machine will pull the latest markchars.el down
daily, that's all.

Thanks
Ted