Re: smtp crap

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:26:46 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>         address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:51:02 -0400
>
> >> There's fundamentally one question with 3 possible answers:
> >>
> >> How do you want to send email?
> >> 1- Use the system mailer (old default).
> >> 2- Use your favorite non-Emacs MUA.
> >> 3- Configure Emacs so it can send email on its own.
> >>
> >> If there's no /usr/sbin/sendmail, answer 1 is not available.
>
> > If (1) is sendmail, then its wording should be modified, because
> > Windows users will think it refers to their MUA.
>
> I'd expect those Windows users won't have /usr/sbin/sendmail so the
> option shouldn't be presented to them.

Then (2) should be reworded to say something like

  Use the system's default email program

("non-Emacs" is too negative, and "MUA" is not necessarily a known
acronym).

> I don't expect any sequence: it's just one question.
> The wording above is a starting point.  It could be a x-popup-dialog, or
> a completing-read, or read-char-choice.

I'm  not sure each of these can present the 2 or 3 choices and allow
to select one of them.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Also, the choice shouldn't be a single character, but rather several
ones and a RET -- to avoid inadvertently hitting the wrong key.

> Is there some other way to do it?

One of the above is okay IMO, as long as the text of each choice is
clear.