Re: Your commit 7409a79

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Your commit 7409a79
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 03:26:39 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> >  CONTRIBUTE: Moved from etc/CONTRIBUTE.
>> >
>> >  This is in preparation for restructuring of developer contribution
>> >  documents; see http:/<archive reference> for the related discussion,
>> >  and see http:/<archive reference> for the decision to move the file.
>> >
>> > This has a short summary line which tells enough in "git log" short
>> > formats, and then the details below, including the rationale.
>> >
>> > But this all is a creative, stylistic issue, not something to be
>> > codified in mandatory documents.  There is no single solution to this;
>> > as long as people choose a reasonable one, and don't goof with
>> > misspellings or missing punctuation, they should be OK.
>
>> It's a big stretch to go from the examples in the Gnu coding standards
>> to this example. There are some like this in ./Changelog; first one
>> 2014-11-11 Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden>, and that has a leading
>> asterisk on the first line.
>
> Asterisks come from add-change-log-entry and friends, so it will not
> be there if you just write free text, like I did above.

> In any case, the asterisks are optional, IMO.

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Log-Concepts.html
last paragraph says asterisks are part of the required Changelog style.

> From experience, the rules are not rigid.

True, they are not consistently enforced.

But a new developer needs a clear set of rules, so they know what they
need to change in their habits from other projects.

> You need to put the right information there, and make it in correct
> English, and that's about all that's really required. Beyond that,
> it's all about your perfectionism.

That is not the impression I get from the mentoring comments on this
list, and it is not what it says in CONTRIBUTE.

--
-- Stephe