RE: use-package.el -> Emacs core

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: use-package.el -> Emacs core
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 10:32:31 -0800 (PST)

> `define-key' is not really an end-user function,

Until/unless we have an alternative that is more "end-user", it
definitely _is_ an end-user function, and the only one we offer,
for keys on maps other than `global-map'.

End users often want/need to add or change a key binding in
a particular keymap.  Questions of how to do that are FAQ.

But yes, `global-set-key' is also a command; `define-key' is not.

> as I've met countless people who have never even heard of it.

That means nothing in this regard.  There are countless people,
including countless Emacs users, who have never heard of plenty
of end-user features.  There are probably countless such who
have never heard of `M-x' or `C-h f' or even `C-h C-h'...

> `global-set-key' is much more user-facing,

Only because (1) users more commonly add/change global bindings
and (2) it is also a command.

But both are "end-user functions" and "user-facing".  (That
doesn't mean that something better cannot be found for end
users to use.)