Re: Emacs i18n (was: bug#34520: delete-matching-lines should report how

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n (was: bug#34520: delete-matching-lines should report how many lines it deleted)
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2019 22:27:36 -0500

  > This has come up several times in the past.  The main problem with
  > i18n in Emacs is that, unlike in many text-mode programs, 'message'
  > covers a tiny portion of the Emacs UI.  We have help commands that pop
  > up buffers; we have commands that prompt in the minibuffer; we have
  > menu items and labels on tool-bar buttons; we have help-echo on menus,

That is quite true.  However, I recommend a different approach to
doing the job.  An incremental one.

Let's install the lookup code and make `message' call it -- not using
advice.  Perhaps we should rewrite it into C, since it is short
and we will want to call it from C code.

Let's develop something to load translations from po files.  Let's
develop software to generate and write lists of messages that need
translating.

Then people can start developing useful sets of translations.

Meanwhile, we can also hook it into other interfaces where it
appropriate.

--
Dr Richard Stallman