Re: Emacs i18n

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 23:58:25 +0200

>> The infrastructure used for that will most probably not work for Lisp,
>> let alone allow separate translations for separate packages to be
>> brought together and used in the same Emacs session.
>
> I don't see why it wouldn't work for Elisp. The gettext infrastructure
> allows multiple message catalogs in the same session. Obviously some
> hacking would be involved, since Elisp currently doesn't do any of this;
> but it could be built atop the existing infrastructure used by other GNU
> applications rather than being rewritten from scratch.

One of the main decisions that has to be made is whether to wrap all
user-facing translatable strings in all Lisp files using a macro/function
'gettext' (alias '_') explicitly like is implemented in XEmacs' I18N3
that would help to extract translations from the source code, or to use
a low-level implicit translation without changing the existing code like
is implemented for handling text-quoting-style in format strings.
The latter will even allow translation of strings that a package author
forgot to mark with '_'.

Depending on this decision a translation file format has to be selected,
be it flat Gettext PO format files or even some YAML-like hierarchical
Lisp structures with scopes.