Re: Emacs i18n

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 08:46:05 +0900

> On Mar 22, 2019, at 7:05, Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> That's a subjective issue. I think the strings are more readable now and
>> there are potentially less grammatical mistakes (I am not talking about the
>> "Number of" part you mentioned). While before it was easy to not notice a
>> bug in the code. I think that is a net gain.
>
> Understood, thanks.  I would have preferred sticking with the previous
> phrasing, but a single opinion is not much to act upon.

:) No, it's quite the opposite. everything starts from a single opinion. I
would also prefer to stick to more natural sounding phrasing, but the tools
available at the moment don't allow for that.

It is usually accepted in code internationalization that concatenation and
other similar processes should not be used to generate natural language
strings. So there are 2 ways to deal with that: either you simplify the strings
to the point where there are as little variations possible (my choice for
packages.el) or you use strings redundancy to cover all the possible variations
with processes that support that (which we don't have at the moment).

Jean-Christophe Helary