Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 11:38:49 -0400

> It would be helpful to determine at a glance whether or not a procedure
> is generic or depends on X support. I'm guessing that this naming scheme
> is a historical artifact from when graphical support meant X support,
> but I believe that it is more confusing than it is worth at this point.

That's right.

> For example, x_write_glyphs could become disp_write_glyphs.

Along similar lines, it would be nice to make sure that the "x_" prefix
is only used for X11 support, so that there's no name clashes between
the W32, X11, and NS backends, opening up the possibility to add the
ability to support several of those backends at the same time (e.g. so
the W32 and macOS builds could also use a remote X11 display).

        Stefan