Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 20:16:41 +0200

> From: Alex <address@hidden>
> Cc: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 11:39:49 -0600
>
> > As a rule of thumb that is 99% true, everything in xdisp.c is generic,
> > i.e. independent of the terminal-specific implementation.  The
> > terminal-dependent stuff is in xterm.c/xfns.c (for X),
> > w32term.c/w32fns.c (for w32), nsterm.m/nsfns.m (for NS), and term.c
> > (for TTY).
>
> Which the naming scheme should reflect, IMO. This includes the presence
> of x_* procedures in the NS/W32 code that Stefan mentioned.

But what you propose in the patch stops short of that goal, it just
renames the functions that are explicitly called from xdisp.c.  It
doesn't rename x_* functions in files unrelated to X.  I'm not sure
this partial renaming is worth the trouble.

> P.S. Should x_clear_window_mouse_face instead be renamed to
> clear_window_mouse_face since it doesn't depend on HAVE_WINDOW_SYSTEM
> like the others do?

It does depend on the window-system, albeit somewhat subtly: it is
only invoked for some terminal types.