Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 09:41:42 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
The correct name would be something like gui_write_glyphs, since
there's tty_write_glyphs in term.c.  Although I personally fail to see
how such renaming will help anyone or anything.

Renaming would make the code clearer now, and would benefit those unfamiliar with the code (or at least to this part of the code -- and I put myself in this category as I'm often confused by the non-X x_* names). However, renaming would also make software archaeology more difficult. When weighing benefit vs cost, it partly depends on how forward-looking we want to be.

I would favor renaming, though I also see the benefits of leaving things alone.