Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 15:56:07 +0000

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 3:16 PM Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 06.11.2019 10:53, João Távora wrote:
>
> >  > The first one will result in long annoying columns with prefix-only
> >  > completion (this won't happen in other editors because a) they use flex,
> >  > b) popup is limited in height), the second one will remove a bit of
> >  > extra information.
> >
> > I don't understand this part but I think this doesn't apply
> > since you misunderstood.
>
> I think it applies after you second step. And after just the first one,
> we'll have inconsistency between the styles.

Depends on what you call consistent.  It's up to us to decide.  The current
state is horribly inconsistent, to me at least.  All other editors except Vim
(I've now checked Atom, VsCode, Sublime, Textmate, and even these
super-fancy new things like https://playcode.io/) highlight flex patterns
bold.  So does helm and ivy and whatnot.  Only emacs seems intent
on this first-difference business that doesn't make a lot of sense for flex.
But I'm not even proposing taking that out, just giving it another name.

> I'm saying writing a generator is largely irrelevant (especially if
> completions come over the network).

It's irrelevant when calculating completions, yes, but not when
say, displaying them chunks at a time, (I thought you told me
the slowness you were experiencing was somehow related to
*Completions* and completion-at-point). Nor when applying a
bunch of properties, say, faces to a very big list. I tried to
explain this when I told you "we have to think about this slowness".

João