Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 16:27:36 +0000

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 4:17 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> > From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> > Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 16:01:54 +0000
> > Cc: Ergus <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>,
> >       Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> >
> > So, using the opportunity that the subject is fresh now, would
> > you object that 'flex' starts using a new face, say
> > 'completion-flex-pattern-emphasis' or 'flex-pattern-emphasis' ,
> > that inherits from the current 'completions-first-difference' face?
>
> It's possible, though perhaps not optimal.  I'd prefer to try to use
> the same faces, and have their names explain what they do in a
> sufficiently generalized way which would fit all styles.

I'm afraid this particular goal is irreconcilable with a freshly
installed Emacs having, __by default__:

1. 'basic' style give prominence to the "first different character"
2. 'flex' style give prominence to the pattern's characters.

UNLESS, of course that elusive face name is something
deliberately vague and generic like 'completion-emphasis' or
'completion-prominence', what you call obfuscation of the specific
meaning.  So "fit all styles" conflicts with "reveal the specific
meaning".

Therefore, I propose we take the the "not-optimal" and
"possible" route.

--
João Távora