Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 23:40:35 +0000

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 9:07 PM Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

> I thought you meant an option/variable or a minor mode for flex style,
> so when it's enabled in the *Completions* buffer with flex styles, then
> it puts the same face on different parts of the buffer than prefix style,
> i.e. the flex style activates this minor mode and it puts bold on common
> parts.  Then there is no need to meddle with face definitions.  Isn't it so?

A style can't activate minor modes: a style is a symbol
designating a couple of methods for matching patterns to
possible completions.  The preferred style is indicated by
the user, a minor mode or even by the completion table
itself.

It's true that something like fido-mode could activate the
variable or minor mode that i think Eli is proposing, the
same way it activates the flex style and other variables.
Emacs -Q + M-x fido-mode would then produce a familiar flex
experience.  But it would be a terrible experience for users
who have loaded themes designed to make flex look good on
modes other than fido-mode.

So I don't think it's an excellent solution.

João