Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 10:16:00 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
>>   address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 09:46:17 +0000
>>
>> I think the nice diff output and automatic cross-references, _in the
>> Web UI_ are almost guaranteed _not_ to work cross-deployment.  But
>> from the console it should be exactly the same, yes.
>
> I still don't think I see the problem.  "git diff" works between
> branches, and the savannah.nongnu repository will be a copy of the
> upstream one.  So where's the problem?

Maybe there isn't one, and I'm not seeing the full picture.

In your scenario, savannah.nongnu is the full-featured fancy-web-enabled
GitLab installation where everyone can fork at will, from the Web
UI, the console or some other UI.  Right?

Inside savannah.nongnu, there is an Emacs repo that is a very close copy
of our current upstream one.  Our current upstream one is insulated from
all the frantic JR Hacker business happening in savannah.nongnu.  Right?

This means, in my limited understanding, that the "Merge pull request"
button in the Web UI wouldn't work.  Developers have to manually use Git
tools to push to, say, git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs.git (where our
current server lives).

The above might be a problem for some, but not me.  I think it's pretty
minor, actually.  And maybe we can convince GitLab to create a feature
that automates it, or to enable us to write a plugin, or something.

João