Re: On elisp running native

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 12:31:32 +0100

Andrea Corallo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all.  I'd like share the investigation I've been working on to give
> Emacs the ability to compile and run elisp as native code.
>
> Despite being in very early stage it's functional and shows some quite
> interesting potential in terms of performance benefit.  I then thought
> was at a good stage to be shared and discussed.
>
> I wrote a small page to describe what I did and how it works plus the
> current status not to have the information spread in various mails.
>
> http://akrl.sdf.org/gccemacs.html

   nbody is ~3.5x faster with

No, it is ~4.6 faster :-)

Please consider using factors instead of % for indicating the speed
boost on the table. Percentages are confusing.

One interesting topic is how your approach affects the features that
characterizes Emacs, such as the ability to redefine almost anything at
runtime, instrospection, debugging, etc.