Re: Extend gdb to filter registers

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Extend gdb to filter registers
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 17:57:50 +0100

> I has a second look at the docstring of `display-buffer`, yes
> `display-buffer-alist` overrides supplied ACTION argument. Then the
> user is always able to override our display buffer customizations.

Right.  An application can always re-override the user by using
'display-buffer-overriding-action' but that should be a last remedy
only.

> Maybe we could provide a customization to make gdb function windows
> (breakpoint, io, thread, etc) un-splittable?

I think we should do two things.

(1) Provide a simple interface for users who don't need the function
windows.  The aim here is to avoid that new windows pop up wildly
whenever hitting a new breakpoint or during stepping.

(2) Provide a more sophisticated window layout showing all sorts of
function windows using side windows.  In particular, more "flat" windows
like the breakpoint, locals, stack frames and maybe the io window should
appear at the bottom and top of the frame.  The gud window would appear
on the left or right (the io window could then go to the opposite side).

The center of the frame would be reserved for the source window or
whatever the user wants to show there.  This way, 'display-buffer'
reaardless of whether it's called by gdb or anyone else would never
mangle those function windows - neither split nor delete or reuse them
arbitrarily - unless the user explicitly wants to do that.

martin