Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 00:15:29 +0300

On 27.01.2020 22:17, martin rudalics wrote:
 > I just noticed that dragging the left border of a normal GTK frame moves
 > the right border too here.  So something is rotten.

The reason for this (and I don't know if you've seen it as well)

Not really. If I drag any border of a normal, decorated frame, the other borders stay where they were.

I'm guessing that here, under Mutter, the window manager controls the sizing and positioning when I'm doing this. And Emacs just handles sizing notifications and redraws itself. So I've never seen this particular issue act up in practice.

But your description sounds similar to my results in the previous experiment with non-decorated non-child frames.

The commands 'foo-' and 'foo+' drag the left border a 100 times to the
right or left by three pixels in one step.  The right border should
remain unchanged.  The commands 'bar-' and 'bar+' should do the same
but, in fact, sometimes move the right border as well.

Yes, I'm seeing exactly the same results with these commands (aside from the redisplay detail, which I haven't tried).