Re: Add some aliases for re-related functions

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Add some aliases for re-related functions
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 23:20:32 +0700

On Sun, 3 May 2020 at 21:16, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> […] please note that you are using the wrong tool for
> the job.  If you expect the _name_ of the function to include "posix",
> then the right tool is "C-u C-h a posix RET", which gives you exactly
> what you want.  "C-h d" is for when you are NOT sure the keyword will
> appear in the name, and therefore widen your search to the doc string
> and the list of the arguments.

Now this shows one aspect of the problem.

You know there are two tools, one for searching function names,
another for searching docstrings. (Also one for searching Info.) You
have developed an intuition when to use which.

An average user today believes that there should be one obvious tool
for all search needs. “Computer, show me everything I might want to
know about posix regexps, pereferably listing the one function I need
right now at the top (but I’m willing to scroll through about ten or
twenty results as I know mind reading hasn’t been perfected yet).”