Re: Add some aliases for re-related functions

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Add some aliases for re-related functions
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 11:07:33 +0100

On Sat, May 2, 2020, 22:14 Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:
On 1991-07-25, Jim Blandy introduced the alias `search-forward-regexp'
for `re-search-forward'.  Why?  Lost in the mists of time.  Possibly for
the same reasons people are advancing now - make all the search functions
begin with "search-" for supposed easier searching (of their names).  In
master we currently have 3534 occurences of re-search-forward and 134 of
search-forward-regexp.  Would anybody here argue that Emacs is the better
for these 134 alternatively named function calls?  I'd say it was a
mistake, and there is nothing positive to offset the confusion.

Or `delete-backward-char' and its alias `backward-delete-char'.  We have,
respectively, 5 and 36 uses.  To me, this is just confusion, whatever the
original reason was for these aliases.

I say we shouldn't add to such confusion.

Very good historic points. I hate these aliases, never know which to pick. Every second gained in supposed discoverability is crushingly offset later on by a thousand seconds of second-guessing and doubt over which version to prefer. It's a really bad deal. Shall I try to be modern, or maintain consistency with this program? I have plenty of those doubts with much more important stuff already (iterative/recursive, functional/imperative, etc, etc) I don't need new ones about naming. What a waste of time.

João