Re: Add some aliases for re-related functions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add some aliases for re-related functions
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 19:42:02 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 23:20:32 +0700
> Cc: Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden>, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>, Yuan
> Fu <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> An average user today believes that there should be one obvious tool
> for all search needs. “Computer, show me everything I might want to
> know about posix regexps, pereferably listing the one function I need
> right now at the top (but I’m willing to scroll through about ten or
> twenty results as I know mind reading hasn’t been perfected yet).”

We could easily provide a command that does what both, but given that
people complain about too many hits returned by "C-h d", what do you
think will be their reaction when they see even more hits added by
"C-h a" (or vice versa)?

I said up-thread, and I repeat: all of the measures to make the
potential number of hits larger will backfire as long as we don't have
a good scoring system that almost always puts the most probable hits
in the first dozen.  No, I don't have an algorithm for that; I'm not
an expert in this field.  But I do know it's possible, because I see
it every day when I search the Internet.