Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 13:54:51 +0300

* Daniel Brooks <db48x@db48x.net> [2020-12-26 13:15]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-12-26 12:32]:
> >> I think this issue is largely irrelevant to Emacs (and to translating
> >> program messages in general), since it customary nowadays to avoid
> >> gender-specific language.  We certainly do that in Emacs.
> >
> > In many languages nouns have its gender classes, and I hope you do not
> > mean that. Example is that flower in German is refered as female while
> > in some other languages as male.
>
> The example I used was dealing with the gender of a user, rather than of
> a random noun. Emacs itself doesn't talk about the user very much,
> though in principle I could see someone using BBDB to keep track of the
> gender of their contacts. Regardless, Fluent can handle either type of
> linguistic gender with equal ease, as well as all other types of variation.

Do you mean to teach computer to recognize gender of the user by the
user's name? That would not be a good guess.

What is possible is to let the user specify the gender and then
computer may construct gender relevant sentences.

Those titles such as Mrs. Mr. Ms. are more social titles, I use them
to recognie the social titles of people, but I do not consider them
equal to gender.

The only reasonable recognition of gender would be in a medical
database where people need to know something about that, or in dating
terms when one wish to mate with specific gender. Otherwise is more or
less useless.