Re: How to contribute new package to GNU ELPA?

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU ELPA?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 14:24:13 -0600

dick.r.chiang@gmail.com writes:

> s> Seems request.el will not be included in GNU ELPA.
> s> https://github.com/tkf/emacs-request/issues/112
>
> I disagree with your conclusion.
>
> Just because some random contributor (dickmao) is unwilling to solicit
> Mr. Arakaki's written release does not mean you must do the same.
> After all, his acquaintance with Mr. Arakaki is just as non-existent
> as yours.
>
> An importunate email campaign to the effect of "I will continue
> emailing you once per week until you respond definitively yes or no.
> Apologies in advance."  seems apropos.

Mr. Arakaki has not commited to the repo in over 6.5 years:
https://github.com/tkf/emacs-request/commits?author=tkf  Since, according
to GitHub, he has made over 4,000 commits to other projects in the past
year, it seems likely that he is uninterested in the project.

As I pointed out in my message of a few days ago about "Emacs HTTP
libraries," Request.el seems to have some issues with governance and
maintenance: https://github.com/tkf/emacs-request/issues/172

So although it's generally usable, considering 1) the bugs I encountered
in using it, ones that forced me to use url.el instead, 2) its
maintenance issues, and 3) the issues I pointed out regarding Curl and
handling of sensitive data on the command line and in temporary files, I
don't think it should be added to ELPA.  (If you have more questions,
please refer to the message I posted, which I thoroughly footnoted.)

Instead, I would encourage Lars to continue the work on his
with-fetched-url branch, which looks very promising.