Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Maybe we're taking a wrong approach towards tree-sitte

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Maybe we're taking a wrong approach towards tree-sitter
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 20:53:38 -0700

Andrei Kuznetsov <r12451428287@163.com> writes:

> it seemed as if consensus has been reached that
> Emacs will provide optional functionality integrating yet another
> external package, this time tree-sitter.
>
> Unlike features like native JSON, however, I believe tree-sitter is the
> first optional package providing notable functionality that would
> require a toolchain that depends on LLVM (that of Rust, which
> tree-sitter is implemented in), and is therefore inaccessible to people
> not running popular systems;

The tree-sitter runtime, that Emacs would link with, it implemented in
C, partly for this reason. It would be compiled with whatever Emacs is
compiled with, or the system compiler.

Some of the tree-sitter development tools are implemented in Rust; you
only need Rust if you are developing/fixing a grammar for a language.

--
-- Stephe