Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 11:37:01 +0300

> How about we set up these bindings instead?
>
> C-x 4 C-/ winner-undo
>
> M-- C-x 4 C-/ winner-redo
>
> This way, a winner undo has the same binding as editing undo, but under C-x
> 4, which means window management stuff.
>
> (Also: is there any reason we shouldn't enable winner by default?)
>
> Likewise, for windmove, we can bind C-x 4 {left, right, up, down} and DWIM
> for people automatically, enabled by default.

This reminds the recent development of the context menu.
The idea to enable the context menu by default was nice
where quickly clicking mouse-3 will retain its current functionality
of operating on the region, but after a delay to pop up the menu.
But in practice such artificial delay is a hassle - no one would have
patience to wait even half a second until the menu finally appears.

The same applies to longer keybindings.  It would be nice to provide the
default long keybindings, but they are unusable for frequent usage because
require more time to type the keys.  So maybe longer keybindings could be
set only to "advertise" the availability of such feature until the package
is loaded and defines shorter keys.