Re: Alternatives for reliable build environments for emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Alternatives for reliable build environments for emacs?
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 09:14:29 +0300

> From: Yuchen Pei <hi@ypei.me>
> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:29:39 +1100
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I was trying to build emacs on a debian + guix system today.  The
> debian is bare minimum, and guix is used as the main package
> manager.
>
> Without `guix shell`, I got stuck at problem with gnutls:
>
> > configure: error: The following required libraries were not
> > found:
> >      gnutls
> > Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?
>
> The version of gnutls installed by guix in the system is 3.6.15.

It tells you to make sure you have all the development packages
installed, and I think it's the accurate advice.  People build Emacs
with that version of GnuTLS without any problems.

> With `guix shell --development emacs`, gnutls wasn't a problem,
> but I got stuck at segfault at bootstrap-emacs.pdmp:
>
> > make[1]: *** [Makefile:858: bootstrap-emacs.pdmp] Segmentation
> > fault
> > make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/foo/source/emacs/src'
> > make: *** [Makefile:450: src] Error 2

If you want help in solving this problem, please submit a bug report
with all the details, including at least the configure command and the
full log of the build from the configure step till the segfault.
config.log would also help.

Thanks.