Re: Select completions from the minibuffer

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Select completions from the minibuffer
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 15:18:15 +0100

From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 10:24:00 +0200
Cc: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org

>> Since Ergus finished implementing new features in the
>> feature/completions-customs branch (and I fixed small things
>> like renaming completion-header-format to completions-header-format),
>> the branch is ready for merging to master now.  After that
>> we could add more patches based on new features.
>
> Sounds good to me.

So now the branch is merged to master.  Thanks Ergus for implementing
these features.

Thanks, but please see some questions/comments below, and either fix
them or explain what you meant so that I could fix them:

Thanks to you

    If @code{completion-auto-help} is set to @code{nil}, the completion
  commands never display the completion list buffer; you must type
 -@kbd{?}  to display the list.  If the value is @code{lazy}, Emacs only
 +@kbd{?} to display the list.  If the value is @code{lazy}, Emacs only
  shows the completion list buffer on the second attempt to complete.
  In other words, if there is nothing to complete, the first @key{TAB}
  echoes @samp{Next char not unique}; the second @key{TAB} shows the
 -completion list buffer.
 +completion list buffer.  With the previous values and the default

What are those "previous values" which you mention here?

t, nil, lazy

 +@code{t} the completions are hidden when some unique completion is
 +executed.

What do you mean by "unique completion is executed"?  Both the
"unique" and the "executed" parts need clarification.

unique means that, there is a single candidate o prefix so the <tab>
"added" some letter. example: com<tab>pi<tab> -> compil

The first tab shows completions but the second hides it... it is a bit
confusing compared to any other completion engine (bash, zsh,
fish)... that's why I started this changes...

If @code{completion-auto-help} is set to @code{always}, the
 +completion commands are always shown after a completion attempt, or

"Commands"? didn't you mean "candidates" or "alternatives"?  (The same
problem exists in the doc string of this variable, btw.)

Maybe candidates is better,

 +updated if they are already visible.  If the value is @code{visible},
 +then completions are not hidden, but updated if they are already
 +visible while the current behavior stays the same as default if they
 +are not.

I think the last sentence should be reworded as follows:

 If the value is @code{visible}, Emacs displays completion the
 completion alternatives when it is unable to complete for the first
 time; thereafter the completion list buffer remains visible and is
 updated as you type.

Is this accurate and correct?

"and is updated as you type."

I am not sure that last part is accurate. updates need <tab> to update
in all cases. "as you type" suggests more an icomplete-like behavior I
thinks.

 +@vindex completions-header-format
 +The variable @code{completions-header-format} is a formatted string to
 +control the informative line shown before the completions list of
 +candidates.  It may contain a @code{%s} to show the total number of
 +completions.  When it is @code{nil}, the message is totally suppressed.
 +Text properties may be added to change the appearance, some useful
 +ones are @code{face} or @code{cursor-intangible} (@pxref{Special
 +Properties,,Properties with Special Meanings, elisp, The Emacs Lisp
 +Reference Manual}).

Shouldn't this have a cross-reference to where header-line-format is
described?  This variable determines the format of the header-line
shown in the window that displays the *Completions* buffer, right?  So
knowing what can be used in header-line-format should be useful.

You are right... I just didn't even know there was a header-line-format ;p

 +@vindex completions-highlight-face
 +When @code{completions-highlight-face} is a face name, then the

Saying "face name" might mislead people to think this is a string.  It
is better to say "If the value of this variable is a face, ..."

Also, I'd lose "then": it's redundant here.

 +current completion candidate will be highlighted with that face.  The
 +default value is @code{completions-highlight}.  When the value is
 +@code{nil}, no highlighting is performed.  This feature sets the text
 +property @code{cursor-face}.

This should explain what is "the current completion candidate".  It
isn't trivial: trying the current defaults with completion commands, I
sometimes see a candidate highlighted, and sometimes don't.  I
couldn't figure out why.

when it is not highlighting? So far the only way to not have a candidate
highlighted is when there is not candidate effectively selected (like
when completions are just updated (with no completion-auto-select) and
the cursor is before the help line; I that case there is not "current
candidate"); a return in that moment won't execute anything because
there is nothing to select, so "current completion candidate" means
that... Maybe you have a better way to explain it?

 +@item cursor-face
 +@kindex cursor-face @r{(text property)}
 +This property is similar to @code{mouse-face}, but the face is used if
 +the cursor (instead of mouse) is on or near the character.
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^
Which character?  There's no reference to "characters" in the
preceding text, so this is confusing.

The previous text for mouse-face says:

‘mouse-face’
     This property is used instead of ‘face’ when the mouse is on or
     near the character.

 I suggest something like
 when point is inside text which has this face

Maybe: when point is inside text which has cursor-face property

Please if you have the time change it... Otherwise I will do in some
days.