Re: Need help with eldoc:

From: T.V Raman
Subject: Re: Need help with eldoc:
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 16:39:00 -0700

thanks for reaching out and replying!

So let me step back and explain what I want and I'm sure you'll know
the answer.

I use and maintain emacspeak (https://emacspeak.sf.net --- code is on
github under https://github.com/tvraman/emacspeak

Eldoc is extremely useful to the blind software engineer, perhaps even
more so than to someone who can glance at the docs in another
window. But eldoc spopping up and speaking based on an idel timer is
suboptimal.

So what I had implemented a few years ago was:

1. Turn off global eldoc mode.

   2. Advice the eldoc-message machinery to cache the displayed
      message somewhre
      3. Added an interactive command that spoke that cached value

         Result: a blind user could avoid the constant interruption
         from eldoc but ask for the documentation when needed with a
         single keystroke.

         Your explanation around how async updates works now explains
         my older solution broke, and   I was naively trying to call
         what seemed to the closest equivalent which was clearly
         wrong.

         So to cut to the chase; could you provide me a simple
         mechanism that I could call from emacspeak (via a keybinding
         bound to an interactive command I write) where that command
         calls into the eldoc machinery and gets back the help that
         eldoc displays?

--

Thanks,

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮