Re: Need help with eldoc:

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Need help with eldoc:
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 22:52:45 +0000

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> This is awesome!
>
> Q: what is "patch in PS"?

"patch in Post Scriptum" means I attached a small diff at the end of the
email, after my signature.  This will repurpose the eldoc-doc-buffer
function for non-interactive use, as we discussed.

> Once you push the patch to emacs git I'll implement what you suggest
> as the final solution.

OK.  Perfect.  For now you can use one of the solutions using internal
symbols.  I believe they are unlikely to change in the near future.

> One more question -- Once I have this working well for myself, I then
> need to build a solution that works when Emacs 28 releases --- since I
> cant depend on all emacspeak users running emacs from @HEAD, but I'd
> like to first get the *final* solution right, then worry about
> backwards compat.

Actually, this _might_ be a non-problem.  You see, eldoc.el is a GNU
ELPA "core package" that works in older versions of Emacs as long as
they're >= 26.3.  You can see this in the header of the eldoc.el file:

   ;; Package-Requires: ((emacs "26.3"))

   ;; This is a GNU ELPA :core package.  Avoid functionality that is not
   ;; compatible with the version of Emacs recorded above.

So if you can arrange for emacsspeak to either use package.el ELPA
packages or simply for emacsspeak to load the Emacs's
lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc.el file, then "you're golden", as they say.

João