Re: Need help with eldoc:

From: T.V Raman
Subject: Re: Need help with eldoc:
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 19:21:32 -0700

So this was very easy to get working, I'd like you to take a look.

I discovered custom option
'(eldoc-echo-area-prefer-doc-buffer t)
--- this i good for the emacspeak user who can see a little  since
they can look at the buffer -- and it doesn't disturb or distract the
totally blind user.

I then went ahead and implemented the function as you suggested -- see
https://github.com/tvraman/emacspeak/blob/master/lisp/emacspeak-advice.el
-- search for "eldoc" to jump to the relevant portion.

I'd like some feedback for the following:
 0. I cloned  your display in a buffer function
1. changed it to use with-temp-buffer
3. rendered the doc there and asked it to speak it.
4. if called non-interactively I just play a short sound to say
   something is available
5. And then bound eldoc to a key

This all works, but it could well be simpler now that  the above
works.

If I could be ensured of the eldoc always being in a buffer I could
eliminate most of the above, but I am also afraid that  that will
recreate the earlier async problem which is why I didn't go there.

So modulo  not yet having figured out the empty doc-string case, this
works well for me for now.

--

Thanks,

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮