Re: Splitting image-dired.el into smaller files

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Splitting image-dired.el into smaller files
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 08:11:08 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Remove the "image-dired-" part?

Do you mean naming the files like this?

    image-dired/compat.el
    image-dired/dired.el
    image-dired/external.el
    image-dired/gallery.el
    image-dired/tags.el
    image-dired/util.el
    image-dired/image-dired.el

How would I then require them, is it like this?

    (require 'image-dired/compat)

If that works, it does sound a bit neater.

> And maybe leave the -util.el part inside the main file?

That's not very easy to do without introducing circular dependencies,
unfortunately.  I thought about autoloading, but then we'd have a bunch
of mainly internal image-dired things autoloaded that I don't think we
really want.