Re: Splitting image-dired.el into smaller files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Splitting image-dired.el into smaller files
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 22:09:12 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 12:02:47 -0700
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, mathias.dahl@gmail.com
>
> For example, `image-dired-dir' is used in image-dired-tags.el,
> image-dired-dired.el, and image-dired.el.  To have a non-circular
> dependency graph, I introduced image-dired-util.el, which gives me a
> diamond shaped dependency graph with arrows pointing in only one
> direction.
>
> It's possible that this is fixable using autoloads, but that leaves us
> with the same number of files, so I'm not sure it's much of an
> improvement.
>
> But maybe I'm missing something.

Yes, I think this is the wrong way of dividing the big file into
several smaller ones.  You don't go by dependencies, you go by
functionalities.  And if there's no way of breaking it into separate
functionalities, it means it shouldn't be broken at all, unless
completely rewritten.

The file is just 3K lines, so if it doesn't lend itself easily to
division, it isn't worth the effort, IMO.