Re: log-edit-insert-changelog even when run git/hg from the

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: log-edit-insert-changelog even when run git/hg from the
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 07:58:29 +0200

> On 30.09.2022 18:48, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> I suppose there are two directions to go from here.

> First, you could set log-edit-listfun to a function that retrieves the
> list of files you are currently committing. Not sure how that could be
> implemented, but some reading of files on disk might be involved.

> Or maybe Hg passes those files in a comment to the commit edit
> program, I'm not sure.

> Alternatively, we could modify log-edit-insert-changelog-entries to
> honor the USE-FIRST argument as well. Perhaps it would see that its
> FILES argument is nil, and when so, if the (newly added) argument
> USE-FIRST is non-nil, it would copy the first entry from the change
> log.

That sounds to me the more natural way. However, I am afraid that seems
to be a corner case and not very many people seem to be interested.

I think the most common use case, that also git users use quite a bit,
would be the rebase command, since in my understanding vc does not
support it and so the ChangeLog in that case would be unavailable.

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.