Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 19:48:01 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> The above means (AFAIU) that disabling is not the right solution,
> because you want the *.eln files to go to the shared location where
> users could have them loaded when needed.  Is that correct, or am I
> again missing something?

If I understand you, I think the answer may be no?

The test and package build cases are (often) isolated, automated,
debien-specific processes that happen on debian build machines (as root
and chrooted), and the entire workspace is then thrown away.  It's never
relevant to a "normal" user.

The package install/upgrade process is system-wide, runs as root, and is
specifically and quite intentionally not per-user.  It's intended to
establish the static, common baseline for *all* users on the machine
until the next package upgrade.

Hope this helps
--
Rob Browning