Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 18:48:17 +0300

> From: Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org>
> Cc: tomas@tuxteam.de, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 14:57:49 -0500
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Please try to understand the nature of the complaints.
>
> For what it's worth, one of the complaints was:
>
>   I do not want emacs suddenly swamping the CPU on my laptop
>   unpredictably.  I want all this work (in the common case) done while I
>   know I'm connected to power, before I head out.
>
> ...and we have for a very long time, perhaps as long as I've been
> working with the packaging, had users who are concerned with disk space
> usage, and ask for smaller package footprints.

But Emacs does that all the time: there are many features that invoke
sub-processes and many more features that write to the disk.  I never
heard anyone complaining seriously about that, and I'm quite sure many
users don't even know which Emacs commands invoke subprocesses under
the hood.

So I'm not sure these complaints are based on real problems.  Did
anyone compare the "sudden swamp of the CPU" caused by JIT native
compilation with what happens with other commands that invoke
subprocesses?  If so, did they present some quantitative data?