Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 12:39:44 -0400

> But Emacs does that all the time: there are many features that invoke
> sub-processes and many more features that write to the disk.  I never
> heard anyone complaining seriously about that, and I'm quite sure many
> users don't even know which Emacs commands invoke subprocesses under
> the hood.

FWIW, during the stealth jit-lock discussion, several people mentioned the
battery impact.

And the issue is not subprocesses per se, but it's extra processing that
happens outside of the control of the user.

> So I'm not sure these complaints are based on real problems.  Did
> anyone compare the "sudden swamp of the CPU" caused by JIT native
> compilation with what happens with other commands that invoke
> subprocesses?  If so, did they present some quantitative data?

Probably not, no.  It's likely mostly a question of perception, so if we
could make it completely invisible the "problem" would disappear :-)
But the fact that lazy native compilation tends to pop up warnings (and
to make matters worse, it does so ... without warning) makes it very
much visible instead.

        Stefan