Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 13:18:54 +0000

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> If we want to consider providing (yet another) user option for
>> disabling native compilation, then we should:
>
> I asked what the user option to disable native compilation was, but
> didn't get an answer, and here you say "(yet another)", so...  what is
> the current user option to disable native compilation?

Sorry for being late: `native-comp-deferred-compilation' and
`load-no-native'.

>>   . understand why and in which situations they may need it
>
> Doing repeatable testing is one obvious situation.

I think the two previously mentioned knobs should be sufficient for
repeatable testing no?

Also repeatable testing are most likely executed in batch mode and...

...surprise surprise deferred compilation is *already* *disabled* in
this mode!!

I've the impression no one mentioned this small detail in this huge
thread, but still we have installed changes to disable a feature for
debian pkg installation that is in fact already disabled :( :(

Best Regards

  Andrea