Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 21:41:16 +0300

> Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 20:17:53 +0200
> From: tomas@tuxteam.de
> Cc: Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org>, larsi@gnus.org, yandros@gmail.com,
>       emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 08:41:22PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > [Full disclosure: evidently, none of what I write below matters, so
> > feel free to ignore.]
>
> Now I think this is a bit unfair. You have a string opinion, and
> I think it shhould be respected, but the others have, too.

You misunderstood the intent.

> > That's strange to hear.  Even MS-Windows allows per-user variations of
> > PATH and per-use environment variables.  It is strange to learn that
> > Debian doesn't.
>
> Note that this is only as far as the Debian packaging system is
> concerned. Per-user you can have as many Emacsen installed as you
> want -- the Debian packaging system doesn't know about them.

Windows installers allow you to install into a directory of your
choice, and some will even set PATH to point to there; if not, you can
do it manually.

> Alternatively, you can have a system-local install (going to
> /usr/local) besides the Debian-installed one without them interfering
> (that's the setup I use).

I don't understand what that means.  Do you mean that you can subvert
the general non-support by Debian packages of several Emacs versions
installed on the same system?