Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 14:45:32 -0400

>> You can only have one of them installed at a time, and you can
>> (currently) only have one major version installed at a time.
>>
>>   https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=emacs
>
> That's strange to hear.  Even MS-Windows allows per-user variations of
> PATH and per-use environment variables.  It is strange to learn that
> Debian doesn't.

Debian does as well.  What Rob is saying is that *if* you want to use
the Emacs provided by Debian, then the choice of which flavor (and
version) you get will apply system-wide.  If that's not good enough for
you, then you can install your own build of Emacs in the usual way, and
it's very easy to do so.

All my Debian boxes come with "Debian's Emacs" installed, and then most
of them have a few other versions built locally for my own personal use.

> And I guess now I'm confused what is it exactly that you'd want to
> achieve.  Do you want to disable native compilation, or do you want to
> have all *.eln files in a shared location?

AFAIK he wants:

- To eagerly compile the `.eln` files for the third party ELisp packages
  installed system-wide using Debian's package manager.

- That every time Emacs is run as part of
  (un)installing/building/testing a Debian package, that Emacs should
  not write any file under $HOME/ (or ~$REALUSER/ either).

-- Stefan