Re: noverlay branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: noverlay branch
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 14:28:42 -0400

Matt Armstrong [2022-10-07 09:51:32] wrote:
>> I just updated the noverlay branch to the code in `master` (most of it
>> was mechanical except for the fact that since the last commit on that
>> branch we have gotten rid of Lisp_Misc and we moved to pdumper).
>>
>> I'm getting ready to install this in `master`, so I'd encourage people
>> to try this code as much as possible to try and weed out the most
>> glaring problems before it hits master.
>
> Stefan (and others), where are we at with this?  Are there things that
> must happen before a merge?

I'm mainly waiting to hear feedback (including my own) about "I use it
with no visible problem".

> Is anybody able to use the noverlay branch for daily work?

I do.

> I'm running the noverlay branch now and was observing an eassume
> failure.

Do you have the file&line number at least?

> I recompiled without optimization and with Address Sanitizer
> and ran Emacs under GDB, but haven't seen the crash since...

More important than that is the ENABLE_CHECKING (which you apparently
was using already anyway) and running under a debugger: even if
optimizations may throw GDB off a bit, it's usually good enough to make
progress on the bug (sometimes by adding more assertions or printfs to
make up (next time around) for the lack of info provided by GDB).

        Stefan