Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 22:14:36 -0700

> On Oct 10, 2022, at 9:43 PM, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> writes:
>
>> My suggestion is to add the tree-sitter variant in these cases, and let
>> the other modes die a slow, deprecated death down the line.
>
> In that case, will any of you object if someone writes a parser
> generator in C and an implementation of the tree-sitter runtime library
> that can be included with Emacs itself (namely, with the copyright
> assigned to the FSF?)
>
> They will be able to use any existing tree-sitter grammar, of course.

Tree-sitter library and the “official” language definitions are all MIT
licensed. So nothing prevents us from including it copyright-wise.

> My opinion is that Emacs should not degrade its text editing
> capabilities so drastically if a non-system library (i.e. not ncurses or
> Xlib) is not present.

Considering that Emacs currently doesn’t have C# and typescript support in core
at all, I wouldn’t call it a downgrade. But I agree the idea that a major mode
requiring external dependency to function is not very comfortable.

Yuan