Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: Jostein Kjønigsen
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 10:15:31 +0200

On 11 Oct 2022, at 09:46, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
>> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, acm@muc.de, emacs-devel@gnu.org, jostein@kjonigsen.net
>> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:23:41 +0200

>>> SGTM.
>>>

>> Good, I'll integrate js.el into typescript-mode.el

>>> It prevents user confusion and conflicts, I guess?
>>
>> In many cases, yes, but in the Typescript case most users will be
>> advised to move on from that mode.  I don't really think there should be
>> an issue - that repo can be archived when we have reasonable support.
>> Jostein and/or others should of course chime in on this.
>>
>> How about we let it live as typescript-mode.el for now, and I can
>> absolutely make sure the renaming happens should we decide to do so.
>
> My personal preference is to avoid conflicts even if we consider them
> unlikely and/or desirable.

Just to be clear: I’m one of the few maintainers of the utterly inadequate
typescript-mode found on MELPA (and so is Theodor).

Development of the Elisp-based parser has already stalled and there’s really
not much development going on there at all. Nor has there been for quite a
time.

I’m fairly certain iI speak on behalf of most of us when I say that once the
tree-sitter based typescript-mode is available via Emacs, we will halt
development entirely, and just add the required code to avoid colliding with an
existing Emacs-implementation.

There will be -no collusion- by introducing the typescript-mode.el patch as
typescript-mode, because this will effectively become the new living
implementation.