Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 17:14:30 -0400

Po Lu [2022-10-11 12:43:36] wrote:
> Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> writes:
>> My suggestion is to add the tree-sitter variant in these cases, and let
>> the other modes die a slow, deprecated death down the line.
> In that case, will any of you object if someone writes a parser
> generator in C and an implementation of the tree-sitter runtime library
> that can be included with Emacs itself (namely, with the copyright
> assigned to the FSF?)

Beside Eli's objection, with which I completely agree, I can't see
any benefit at all.

> My opinion is that Emacs should not degrade its text editing
> capabilities so drastically if a non-system library (i.e. not ncurses
> or Xlib) is not present.

That's easy to fix: make tree-sitter a required dependency.
No need to maintain our own version of it.

If/when tree-sitter becomes unmaintained, we may decide to revisit this
choice, but I see no reason to cross this bridge in the foreseeable future.

We already reinvent many more wheels than we should.

        Stefan