Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 00:49:25 +0200

> I don't see a need to do that for Emacs-29.  But I expect it will happen
> sooner or later, yes.

Yes, more of an Emacs 30 thing, so 2024-ish.

That is, during the next year, I'm guessing that we'll be gaining
tree-sitter support for all the major programming languages, and when
that is better than what we already have, we should consider making
tree-sitter a prerequisite for Emacs (and these modes) and rapidly phase
out the old code.

But that all depends on how things go and how rapidly the modes gain
tree-sitter support.  Just looking at what's been achieved over the last
week makes me hopeful, though.

It's also a question of how much user breakage we'll tolerate/aim for.
That is, there's a gazillion tuning knobs all over the modes to tweak
stuff that will be rendered obsolete by tree-sitter, and which people
may be fond of.