Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 20:43:04 +0200

On 11 October 2022 20:31:06 CEST, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
>Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> writes:
>
>> How about deprecating typescript.el the moment the 29.1 branch is cut?
>> After we can but some sort of structure in place for the two to coexist?
>
>It doesn't work that way -- people will have the old typescript-mode in
>their ~/.emacs.d/elpa/ files for years still to come, and things will
>just be messy.
>
>So I think the way forward here would be to just plonk the new code into
>the package, but choose totally different code paths depending on
>whether we're in Emacs 29 (and have tree-sitter) or not.  Then you can
>start removing the non-tree-sitter code from the file afterwards.

I see what you mean, but seeing how that mode is pretty broken, and we have a
real chance to fix this now it'll be a missed opportunity...

But I don't see why we should expect emacs not to change, but that may just be
me. It would be in everyone's interest having proper Typescript support in
core, as that is almost the de facto language of the frontend world.

Well, I guess we'll have to skip Typescript, then.